Monday, June 20, 2011

can beggars still be choosers??

In one of my previous posts I think I mentioned about my husbands brother and his wife expecting a baby this summer and how they are less than prepared and able (financially) to have this child. My husband and I have bought a bunch of clothes for the baby and from the beginning planned on getting them the swing that they wanted as well as the matching bouncy seat. Being that we aren't made of money and want to get them as much stuff as possible to help ease their burden we talked about buying the swing gently used. They wanted a new one.... so today I was in our local secondhand baby store which sells REALLY nice stuff! Low and behold they had the swing... it was super clean, looks barely used (aside from the cloth looking like it had been run thru the wash) I could see any wear and tear anywhere else. So we bought it and are planning on giving it to them when the baby is born and we go visit (they do not live in our city). We haven't said anything about it being used, not sure if we will. I just think that it's a little ungrateful for them to want us to buy this big ticket item brand new and then not be able to buy them much else vs. getting is used and being able to get a few packs of diaper and formula too. Oh, and constantly being asked when we are going to buy it also seems pretty tacky to me.

1 comment:

  1. Um, no beggars can't be choosers. If they want it new, they can buy it new. And yes, it's tacky...the whole situation is tacky, but what're you going to do? My SIL was in a similar situation when she got pregnant with our niece, as far as being completely unprepared, both emotionally and financially. They're the type that spend every penny they earn and don't pay their bills and just keep spending. It's really frustrating because WE know we can take care of a child but had all this trouble conceiving (on both ends) and yet, there they are...got married in August 2009 and pregnant in August 2009. Awesomeness. :( Sorry that they're a pain. I hope they appreciate what you do for them.

    ReplyDelete