Wednesday, May 11, 2011

My fertility experience so far...

Like I said in my intro post, my husband and I started the process of TTC via IUI about 6 months ago. Since I just started this blog I feel like I should post what I have gone through so far in this process.

We have gone through 3 cycles of natural IUI (unmedicated with no monitoring), my Dr. said that she didn't think meds were necessary since I'm still considered young and am very regular. After the 3rd unsuccessful IUI I had an HSG test done which came back normal, a follicle scan which also came back normal and a progesterone test which came back low. I had the progesterone test 2 weeks ago, and because of the low level and the fact that I surged 2 days later than I normally have been my Dr. things that I didn't ovulate. I was also almost a week late starting this current cycle (CD3 today) I'm scheduled to go in this afternoon for another follicle scan.

A little about my first 3 IUI's...

IUI #1 was more painful than I expected, I got a HUGE cramp when they inserted the catheter and felt crummy for a couple of hours. I was pretty sure it wouldn't take since I haven't heard of anyone who has gotten pregnant off of their first IUI, especially a natural one. I was surprised by how upset I was when I got a BFN 11 days later.

IUI #2 went really smoothly, almost no discomfort at all... I totally over analyzed this cycle though and was convinced that I was pregnant so once again I was really upset when I got another BFN.

IUI #3 made me question if I could do this again, my Dr. had to use a tenaculum which I think was designed by Satan himself. That was a kind of pain that I have NEVER experienced in my life, I don't think I could have gotten through it without my husband.. he let me squeeze the life out of his hand and wiped away my tears. I was pretty much out of commission for the rest of the day after that IUI. When I got the BFN and then my period the next day I had a little bit of a meltdown. My husband and I agreed that we wouldn't try another cycle til I had some testing done (this is what we are in the process of doing now)

I have been doing a lot of reading since I went into the Dr. after my 3rd attempt and am now a little concerned that more wasn't done to check my fertility before we started this process, especially since the cost involved with donor sperm is quite high. Luckily so far most of our medical costs have been covered by insurance. As I said before, we are going into the Dr. today for another follicle scan and then to meet with the Dr. I am going in prepared with a bunch of questions and we plan to tell her that we are looking to become more aggressive with our treatments. If she is not on board then we are also prepared to seek a second opinion on what can be done for us. I am actually looking forward today and hoping to get some answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment